According to Handy, obesity is a very common health issue for today’s generation. While many of us think that following strict dietary plans and working out at the gym is the solution, some people believe intermittent fasting to be a more beneficial solution. To get started with intermittent fasting, there are a few things you must be aware of. The dos and don’ts of intermittent fasting are listed below:
- Do Chalk Out the Plan First- With a full-proof plan, half the battle is won. There are three types of Intermittent Fasting: 16/8 method, eat-stop-eat method, and 5:2 method. Not every method is suitable for everyone. You have to choose your way of fasting wisely. For example, if you cannot do fasting every day for a particular period of time, then you have to go for the 5:2 method in which you can take normal calories consecutively for 5 days, but you have to fast for 2 days back to back in a row to reduce that calorie level.
- Don’t Forget to Consult Your Doctor- Everyone has their own structure of body and food consumption habits. Your fasting method will be decided according to it. For example, a man with low blood sugar needs glucose throughout the day and a strict fasting plan can bring unnecessary problems for them. So, before you start fasting, consult your doctor and get their advice.
- Continue Your Workout Plan- There is a common misconception that fasting burns your muscles instead of fat or calories. This is a wrong idea. Even if you are hitting the gym regularly, there should not be any problem. But of course, you need to consult your instructor first. Plan your fasting schedule according to your gym schedule. If needed, take adequate protein as the necessary source of calories.
- Don’t Ignore the Side-effects- For beginners, there are a lot of problems with fasting, mostly associated with some side-effects like hunger, constipation, palpitations, weakness, dizziness, and acidity. Sometimes you may even start feeling cold. Most of these problems are very common and go away on their own way. However, if you suspect a serious issue, you must consult your doctor.
- Drink a Lot of Fluids- Be careful. Fasting means that you are only allowed to stop taking food but not liquid. So, it is important you stay hydrated while you go through the fasting period. Drink a lot of water. This will help you stay energized. Additionally, you can also drink green tea and coffee.
- Don’t Overindulge on a ‘Last Supper’- Many people think that eating voraciously before starting the fasting period will help to sustain through. But this is actually counterproductive. Instead, take a healthy meal of lean protein, healthy fat, and complex carbs like whole grain. This will help you keep your blood pressure normal.
- Find Fun Distractions- While fasting, try to stay happy and positive. You can go out with your buddies, go window shopping, or just organize your room; whatever makes you happy. Try to stay away from food corners like restaurants, cafes, or street food stalls.
Fasting cannot get rid of your bad fat or calories alone. Handy suggests you follow a healthy diet and live a balanced lifestyle so that you can stay in good shape both inside and outside.