Drug addiction for teens can begin with an exploratory or experimental use of drugs. It usually happens in social scenarios, and sometimes drug usage becomes frequent. While in some cases, like for opioids, addiction through medication is also a possibility.
Certain drugs like opioids containing painkillers have elevated addictive risks. And cause quicker addiction than other drugs.
Teenagers that experiment and try drugs are unintentionally putting their health at risk.
You can prevent your teen from getting addicted to drugs. Talk to your teen about its effects and consequences. And also, about the significance of healthy choices. But first, you need to understand-
Why do teens begin to misuse or use drugs in the first place?
There are various reasons for teens that may lead to drug misuse. It often begins with:
- usage of drugs at social gatherings
- wrong friend circle and their influence
- Stress and depression
- History of drug abuse at home
- Problems at work or school
- Health issues
- Negligence from parents or loved ones
- Insecurity about physical appearance
- To feel powerful
- Increased sexual stamina
- Financial issues, etc.
Drug use leads to other substance abuse such as alcohol and cigarettes as well.
What can you do?
Teenagers, in the beginning, don’t even realize the risks they are taking with drug usage. It is your responsibility to make them aware of the risks and consequences of drug misuse.
- Talk with them. Tell your kid about the mental and physical risks that drug addiction will cause.
Risks of drug abuse and addiction include:
- A behavioral or mental health issue. It will cause anxiety, depression, ADHD, etc.
- Physical Health risk also increases tremendously. Risk of seizures, heart attack; liver, kidney, lung failure; loss of concentration, respiratory diseases, and many others.
- Impulsive attitude
- Inferiority issue
- Feeling of rejection
- The Aftermath of drug addiction is dangerous in so many ways. Make sure your kid is well aware of it.
- High dependency on drugs in life
- Likely to make a poor judgment in personal and social life.
- Risky sexual activity. Like unsafe sex causing unplanned pregnancy or some sexual disease like STD, HIV, etc.
- Mental disorder
- Other substance abuse and addiction.
Preventive measures to keep your teen away from Drugs:
There are certain things that you can do to ensure your kid never becomes an addict
· The first thing to do is talk to your kid. You must make sure that your kid is aware of all the consequences of drug use. And ask the views and opinion of your teen. Explain to them your points and views in a calm manner. Make them feel comfortable enough to open up to you.
· Make them aware of all its effects and consequences on your mental and physical health.
- Check what your teen is watching and listening to on social media, TV, movies, etc.
- Do not pressurize your kid in any way. Interact with your kid about how he/she can avoid drugs.
- If you have ever used drugs yourself, then share your experience and how you overcame it.
- Knowing your teen’s social and friend circle is also important. Make sure they are not involved in any bad company.
- Establish certain rules and regulations in-house.
- Make sure you have a track of prescribed drugs in your home. Do not throw them anywhere that they can get their hands in it easily.
Get Professional help!
Drug addiction is not easy to give up. If your kid is already habitual of drugs then he/she will need professional help. With time your kid will start using more and larger quantities of drugs to get high. Hence, increasing the risk of overdose. So, you must take into account the changes in your teen as a result of drug usage and get them professional help ASAP.
Louisiana and Nevada provide such professional help.
You can consider the alcohol rehab Louisiana to help your teen to get out of this destructive habit.
The rehabs are well versed with the troubles an addiction to drugs can cause. Therefore, it is extremely important to get your teen proper attention in time.
Before getting your teen into any particular rehab check for the services that it provides. The following services ensure a good rehab Center:
- Availability of special programs for adults, postpartum depression, or pregnant women and teens separately.
- Professional method of detoxification of alcohol, drugs, opium, heroin, cocaine, LSD, benzodiazepines, marijuana, etc.
- Payment aids must be available
- Facility of a long and short-term treatment program.
- There are self-help and training groups to keep your teen engaged and away from drugs and alcohol.
- Services for mental health care and housing.
- Motivational activities
- Sober and transitional living.
- Recovery groups and Drug relief programs.
There are several drug rehab centers in Nevada too with some of the best health care facilities. And helps defeat this addiction.
It is important to interact with your teen as much as possible. Ensure that your kid feels comfortable with you and trusts you. Provide your teen with stable, warm and supportive family entertainment.
Then and only then will they share their life troubles and depression with you. It will help you understand their psyche and help them in the best possible way.