It appears Gamefaqs user Galvanization has quite the active imagination. A GameMasters UK Editor has confirmed that this rumor is fake.
As GamesMaster’s Dep Ed I can safely say this is utter BS. Tracked down the source – a forum user on GameFAQS and Gamespot – who claims to have read this in our latest issue at the supermarket. There’s no such thing in there at all.
Note to self: If it sounds to good to be true then it’s not.
[Original Story]You may recall a GamesMaster UK rumor we passed along last Decmeber concerning Final Fantasy XV being announced at E3 of this year.
Well, E3 2012 has come and gone with no unveiling from Square Enix, however, the UK publication stands by its source and shares more speculation on the rpg that Square Enix President Yoichi Wada reportedly wants to ”surpasses The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” and Final Fantasy VII.
• Including the concept planning and pre-production phase, the game has already been in development for over 4 years.
• It entered full production in January 2010, a month after FFXIII was released in Japan. Since then it has had a development team of just over 200 people.
• The director is the same person who directed FFVI, FFIX and FFXII, Hiroyuki Ito.
• The co-director led a small part of the development team to make Tactics Ogre for the PSP in parallel with FFXV. He’s currently multi-tasking as lead UI designer of FFXIV 2.0 and co-director of FFXV.
• The game design and battle system will be a major evolution of FFXII.
• The game will be open world and have sprawling, crowd-filled cities on par with Assassin’s Creed.
• The battle system now allows you to target different parts of an enemy’s body like in Vagrant Story.
• Yoichi Wada (president of Square Enix) wants the game to have a world scale and volume of content that surpasses The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. He also wants the game to surpass FFVII in worldwide sales and critical reception.
• Will release on all major current gen platforms.
As far as the initial rumor claiming Final Fantasy XV would be announced at E3 2012 the publication stood by its “extremely trustworthy, industry source” who also informed them that Final Fantasy XIII being announced for Xbox 360 at E3 2008 ahead of the public reveal.
He said that he was 90% sure the game would be announced as part of Final Fantasy 25th anniversary. It was us that predicted that the place of the announcement would be E3.
He only told us a vague, “Next year, as part of FF 25th anniversary.” What that means is that it could still show up at Tokyo Game Show in September. You may think this is all BS but the track record of this source with Square Enix news is hard for us to ignore. We wouldn’t have run the story if we didn’t believe it was true.
Huge thanks to Gamefaqs user Galvanization for the information.